"I am not Better than You". Leaving the world behind for the Lord




I want to share today a post that I wrote a very long time ago, well about 3 years ago, after I had first been filled with the holy spirit and turned my whole life to the Lord. It was a hard season for me because I lost EVERY SINGLE ONE of my 'friends'. In this however I found my husband, now have a wonderful family, am blessed beyond measures of what I deserve all because I made the decision to leave my old life behind.

In some ways I am doing this all over again. Although I do not and have not been partying or at the bars as the old post talks about, I've been living in sin that I didn't know and have been now working and turning away from. The sin of putting worldly things such as my career, myself, and everything else before my God and my walk with him, and above my own family even.

So, as I share this post (and some of it is kind of bold and I would say in a more 'gentle' way if I was to write it today but I want to copy and paste it exactly as I wrote it THEN) I urge you as a Christian woman yourself to think about the things I talk about, did you lose friends or other worldy things when you turned to God? Did you hurt or suffer but then in time see the BLESSINGS of doing this? No one can give us what the Lord can, it just isn't humanely possible. NOTHING is more fulfilling than him and a close walk with him.

Here is the post and it was titled "I am not better than You"

"“For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession, out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth." Deuteronomy 7:6
I have heard from a few people that used to know me as the "good time friend" the "party girl" and the "out all night on the town person" that I have become stuck-up, snobby, and developed a holier than thou attitude since I came to the Lord. Because I don't wear what I used to wear, I don't go to the bar with them, or even out on a friday night, they have decided that I am stuck-up. Because we don't have common intrests anymore, I won't go to parties with them, and I chose to not harm my body with drugs and alcohol any longer, that makes me snobby. Because I know that I am holy to the Lord, a chosen person, a royal daughter of the King of the earth, and a treasured possession to the savior of man-kind, I am "holier than thou" , according to these people.
Well, Im chosing to address this upfront and with a somewhat heavy heart for those that think this. I have never considered myself, nor will I ever, better than anyone else. The difference these people speak of is me doing what the bible asks and the Lord expects from me: setting myself apart from the world and the sin of it. If this makes me "stuck-up" then I am sorry, but I will never go back to how I used to be. Jesus has set me free and put my feet on solid ground, I no longer need or want the shaky, uncertain foundation that the world has to offer. If that means people want to talk about how Ive "changed" or how I am no longer "fun" then that's fine. Blessed are those that are persecuted in his name. But, I just wanted to say that daily I am searching my heart to be made more humble by him. Asking him to take out anything that isnt loving or kind. I seek for Christ to continually mold me, make me into who he wants me to be for him.
To the people that want to bring up my past just to throw in my face, or to help their own convictions, I only pray that the Lord shows them the testimony of my life from where I was then, to how far I have now come. No, Im not perfect, I have a past thats full of disgrace and shame, but in him I am made new. Because I know who I am in the Lord, I know that I am special and try to live my life holy and Christ-like, simply does not imply that I think I am "better than you" or "more holy", that is for you to work out with the Lord on your own. If YOU think I am better than you, or I am more holy than you (holier than thou) then I would suggest that you spend some time on your knees with the Lord Jesus Christ so you can find out exactly who you are in him, and what he longs for you to become. Everyone can experience a better life through him, its just a matter of if you are willing to come when he calls your name. Are you willing to turn an about-face, a complete turn away, from the sin you are so used to enjoying? Will you sacrifice the pleasurable sin that will only last a season for the eternity of heaven? I pray you already have, and if not that you will.
Peter 2:9  "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a pecular people, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light."

PS. Again, the older, wiser, more mature woman I am NOW would have worded this more gently and not so bold and not 'challenge' the reader to examine themselves. I would have just written my story and left it, but I guess I felt a need to defend myself to an extent, who knows its been so long ago, but the point is made and I hope to hear your story of what happened when you turned away from the world and walked with the Lord :)

Be Blessed

Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts